(For my full CV, click here.)
Akademischen Rätin (postdoc), April 2020- March 2023
Postdoctoral Researcher, September 2018- March 2020
Ph.D. Mathematics, University of Virginia, 2018.
Advisor: David Sherman
Dissertation: C*-algebras and their finite-dimensional representations.
M.S. Mathematics, Auburn University, 2013.
B.S. Mathematics, Auburn University, 2010.
B.A. Philosophy, Auburn University, 2010.
B. Armstrong, G. G. de Castro, L. Orloff Clark, K. Courtney, Y-F. Lin, K. McCormick, J. Ramagge, Aidan Sims, and Benjamin Steinberg. “Reconstruction of twisted Steinberg algebras,” Int. Math. Res. Not., to appear. arXiv:2101.08556.
B. Armstrong, L. Orloff Clark, K. Courtney, Y-F. Lin, K. McCormick, and J. Ramagge. “Twisted Steinberg algebras,” J. Pure Appl. Algebr., 226 (2022), Issue 3. [https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpaa.2021.106853] (arXiv:1910.13005)
K. Courtney, “Universal C*-algebras with the Local Lifting Property,” Math. Scand., 127 (2021), 361-381. [https://doi.org/10.7146/math.scand.a-126018] (arXiv:2002.02365).
K. Courtney, D. Sherman. “The universal C*-algebra of a contraction,” J. Operator Theory, 84 (2020), Issue 1, 153-184. [http://dx.doi.org/10.7900/jot.2019mar11.2229] (arXiv:1811.04043).
K. Courtney, T. Shulman. “Elements of C*-algebras attaining their norm in a finite-dimensional representation,” Canad. J. Math. 71 (2019), Issue 1,
Honors, Awards, Grants, Fellowships, Distinguished Research Programs:
- National Science Foundation, (Co-PI) Groundwork for Operator Algebras Lecture Series (GOALS) (NSF #2000131), April 01, 2020- September 30, 2021.
- American Institute of Mathematics (AIM), Structured Quartet Research Ensembles (SQuaRE), 2019-2022.
- Oberwolfach Leibniz Graduate Students Grant recipient, August 2019.
- American Mathematical Society, Joint Math Meetings 2018 Travel Grant.
- Association for Women in Math, Joint Math Meetings 2018 Workshop Grant.
- US Junior Oberwolfach Fellow, September 2017.
- All-University Graduate Teaching Award, University of Virginia, April 2017.
- Spring Dissertation Fellowship, University of Virginia, Spring 2017.
- Invited Researcher, Intensive Research Program on Operator Algebras: Dynamics and Interactions, Centre de Recerca Matemática, Bellaterra, March-July 2017.
- Conference on Operator Algebras & Related Topics: In memory of Vaughan Jones
Istanbul Center for Mathematical Sciences and Online, June 8-10, 2021
- 8th European Congress of Mathematics, Operator Algebras Mini-Symposium, Online 2021.
- Global NCG Seminar (European Edition). Online, 2021.
”Generalized inductive limits with asymptotically order zero maps.” (Slides)
- Actions of Tensor Categories on C*-algebras. IPAM (UCLA), Online, 2021.
Mini Course: “The abstract approach to classifying C*-algebras.” (Video) (Slides)
- Global NCG Seminar (Americas Edition). Online, 2020.
”C*-structure on images of completely positive order zero maps.” (Video)
- UK Virtual Operator Algebras Seminar. Online, 2020.
“Kirchberg’s QWEP Conjecture: Between Connes’ and Tsirelson’s Problems.” (Slides)
- Banff Workshop 19w5134 – Classification Problems in von Neumann Algebras. BIRS, 2019.
“Amalgamated Products of Strongly RFD C*-algebras arising from locally compact groups.” (Video)
- Banff Workshop 19w5073 – Topology and Measure in Dynamics and Operator Algebras. BIRS, 2019.
“Amalgamated products of RFD C*-algebras.”
- Oberwolfach Workshop 1933: C*-algebras. MFO, 2019:
“Amalgamated products of RFD C*-algebras.”
- Groupoids, Graphs, and Algebras. University of Sydney, 2019:
“Twisted Steinberg Algebras.”
- East Coast Operator Algebras Symposium. Texas Christian University, October 2018:
“Amalgamated free products of strongly RFD C*-algebras over central subalgebras.” (Slides)
- International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM)- Satellite Conference in Operator Algebras. Florianópolis, Brazil, July 2018:
“Norm attainment under finite-dimensional representations.” (Slides)
- (Sub)factors in Maui. Maui, HI, 2018:
“A universal contraction algebra: from von Neumann’s inequality to Connes’ embedding problem.”
- AMS Sectional Meeting- Special Session on Advances in Operator Algebras. Vanderbilt, April 2018:
“Finite-dimensional representations of C*-algebras and AF mapping telescopes.”
- Workshop on computability of K-theory for C*-algebras. Texas A& M, February 2018:
“Universal contractions, von Neumann’s Inequality, and Connes’ embedding problem.”
- Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM)- Special Session on Advances in Operator Algebras. San Diego, CA, January 2018.
“A von Neumann-type inequality with universal C*-algebras.”
- Brazos Analysis Seminar. University of Huston, November 2017:
“Residually finite-dimensional C*-algebras and mapping telescopes.”
- Oberwolfach Mini-Workshop: MASAs and Automorphisms of C*-algebras 1738a. September 2017:
“Finding elements in C*-algebras using mapping telescopes.”
- Noncommutative Geometry and Operator Algebras (NCGOA) Spring Institute. Vanderbilt, May 2017:
“Finite Dimensionally Normed Elements in an RFD C*-algebra.”
- University of Virginia Operator Theory Seminar. August-September 2016:
Four-Part Lecture Series: “The WEP, the LLP, and some related conjectures according to Kirchberg.” (Lecture Notes)
- Young Mathematicians in C*-algebras (YMC*A), WWU Münster, 2021
- Groundwork in Operator Algebras Lecture Series (GOALS)
2020 (Online) and 2021 (Michigan State University)
- Organizer: Focus Programme, “Operator algebras and topological dynamics: amenability and beyond”, WWU Münster, 2021
- Operator Algebras Mentor Network, 2019-present.
Co-founder and Junior Mentor
- YMC*A 2019, University of Copenhagen
- Young Women in C*-algebras (YWC*A) 2018, KU Leuven
- Teaching for Diversity in Math Workshop, University of Virginia, 2017.
- University of Virginia Graduate Student Seminar, 2016-2018.
- Math Ambassadors Elementary School Outreach Program, University of Virginia, 2014- 2018.