(For my full CV, click here.)
Postdoctoral Researcher, 2018-present.
Ph.D. Mathematics, University of Virginia, 2018.
Advisor: David Sherman
M.S. Mathematics, Auburn University, 2013.
B.S. Mathematics, Auburn University, 2010.
B.A. Philosophy, Auburn University, 2010.
K. Courtney, D. Sherman. “Some notes on the universal C*-algebra of a contraction,” preprint arXiv:1811.04043.
K. Courtney, T. Shulman. “Free products with amalgamation over central C*-subalgebras,” preprint arXiv:1809.09134.
- East Coast Operator Algebras Symposium. Texas Christian University, October 2018:
“Amalgamated free products of strongly RFD C*-algebras over central subalgebras”
- International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM)- Satellite Conference in Operator Algebras. Florianópolis, Brazil, July 2018:
“Norm attainment under finite-dimensional representations.” (Slides)
- (Sub)factors in Maui. Maui, HI, 2018:
“A universal contraction algebra: from von Neumann’s inequality to Connes’ embedding problem.”
- AMS Sectional Meeting- Special Session on Advances in Operator Algebras. Vanderbilt, April 2018:
“Finite-dimensional representations of C*-algebras and AF mapping telescopes.”
- Workshop on computability of K-theory for C*-algebras. Texas A& M, February 2018:
“Universal contractions, von Neumann’s Inequality, and Connes’ embedding problem.”
- Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM)- Special Session on Advances in Operator Algebras. San Diego, CA, January 2018.
“A von Neumann-type inequality with universal C*-algebras.”
- Brazos Analysis Seminar. University of Huston, November 2017:
“Residually finite-dimensional C*-algebras and mapping telescopes.”
- Oberwolfach Mini-Workshop: MASAs and Automorphisms of C*-algebras. September 2017:
“Finding elements in C*-algebras using mapping telescopes.”
- Noncommutative Geometry and Operator Algebras (NCGOA) Spring Institute. Vanderbilt, May 2017:
“Finite Dimensionally Normed Elements in an RFD C*-algebra.”
- University of Virginia Operator Theory Seminar. August-September 2016:
Four-Part Lecture Series: “The WEP, the LLP, and some related conjectures according to Kirchberg.” (Lecture Notes)
- Organizer for Young Mathematicians in C*-algebras (YMC*A) 2019, University of Copenhagen.
- Organizer for Young Women in C*-algebras (YWC*A) 2018, KU Leuven.
- Organizer for Teaching for Diversity Workshop, University of Virginia Department of Math, August 2017.
- University of Virginia Graduate Student Seminar Chair, 2016-2018.
- University of Virginia Math Ambassadors Outreach Program, 2014- 2018.
- American Institute of Mathematics, Structured Quartet Research Ensembles (SQuaRE), August 2019.
- Oberwolfach Leibniz Graduate Students Grant recipient, August 2019.
- American Mathematical Society, Joint Math Meetings 2018 Travel Grant.
- Association for Women in Math, Joint Math Meetings 2018 Workshop Grant.
- US Junior Oberwolfach Fellow (NSF # DMS-1641185), September 2017.
- All-University Graduate Teaching Award, University of Virginia, April 2017.
- Spring Dissertation Fellowship, University of Virginia, Spring 2017.
- Invited Researcher (NSF # DMS-1665118), Intensive Research Program on Operator Algebras: Dynamics and Interactions, Centre de Recerca Matemática, Bellaterra, March-July 2017.